Blog Post #3

CC BY-NC-ND 2.0




 Hi and welcome back to another week on my EME Blog! 


This week we spent time learning about fair use and copyright laws. Copyright is the exclusive rights to use, license and distribute someones work. This protects one's intellectual property rights from being stolen by other people. Fair use allows users to copy work for educational purposes, provided they are not being used for-profit. For me as a teacher, I prefer to steer clear of any potential issues by creating work on my own or using graphics that are clearly marked under fair use policies. For my personal creations, I would mark them under the creative commons license, and let other use them for not-for-profit purposes. 

 
Technology in classrooms has been all the rage in the new era of digital learning, however it is not without its challenges. Some of these issues include academic dishonesty and cyberbullying. Academic dishonesty is on the rise with the creation of things such as ChatGPT. To prevent this, a student at Princeton University has created an application called GPTZero that can detect if ChatGPT is being used to create answers. I would use this application (provided it is made public for educators) to ensure that services like ChatGPT aren't being used in my class. Another issue of cyberbullying is a little harder to prevent. Preventing cyberbullying is a twofold challenge for educators because it combines the issue of detecting bullying with the intricacies of online communication. To combat this, I would work to build a culture of respect and tolerance in my classroom, while creating relationships with students where they would feel comfortable coming to me if they are being cyberbullied. 

Last week in EME 2040, we created a teacher newsletter to practice our design skills. In the future, I feel like to improve the newsletter I would add more color and font types, because mine was fairly bland. This was great practice for the future because I may have to create a newsletter for a future class, and now I kind of know how to do that. Attached below is a photo of my newsletter. Feel free to use it for non-profit educational purposes if you would like ;). Thanks for reading, and have an amazing week. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #6

Blog Post #5