Blog Post #2

 Hi everyone, and welcome back to my blog!


This week I was able to get a little more experience with Microsoft Word. In high school, I rarely used Word as my teachers and I both preferred Google Docs; but now I am warming up to Microsoft Word. My favorite writing tool is Google Docs, because of how often I use it and how familiar I am with it. I love how it automatically saves your work and how it can automatically add a title for you. I also like the user-interface and how it allows me to see all my documents and search for them, in an easier way than Microsoft Word.

When reading the ISTE standards, one that stuck out to me was "Model and promote management of personal data and digital identity and protect student data privacy." This stuck out to me because of the recent controversies of kids having their online data taken by different groups. More specifically with the drama surrounding TikTok and its alleged pirating of users data. I feel it's important for students to understand how not all websites or apps are safe for them and that they need to be careful where and how they store their information.

The last thing we talked about on Tuesday was the concept of digital natives. A digital native refers to someone who grew up with and around technology, and has a deep understanding of how to use it; usually a deeper one than the educators who work with them. I completely believe that this term is accurate. I believe it is accurate because I have seen firsthand how teachers need to rely on students to help operate computers, smartboards, and even sometimes their phones. Having teachers that are "digital immigrants" definitely can be tough for students, and thats why it is important for students to have teachers who are technologically literate. I have had teachers try to teach lessons through technology where you can clearly tell the teacher does not have a firm grasp on the technology they want to use, which diminishes the learning process. I believe in the future, with my students, I will be well-equipped to use technology with them because I grew up with the same technology. 

That's all for this week, thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed your blog post. In high school and middle school I used a lot of Microsoft applications so I am familiar with it but Microsoft and Google are very similar.
    I also like the standard that you chose. I agree with you on social media privacy and how kids should learn more and be more conscious. I don't think restrictions on social media are the right choice, but we still need to protect kids.
    I agree with you on your point about technology. I think it is important for teachers to change with the times to better be suited to their students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I also used Microsoft programs in grade school, so I'm pretty comfortable with it as well. Not so much Google but at least some general knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that I have always used and enjoyed Google more then Microsoft when it comes to its programs. Microsoft for one is not free, and its terms and services make sharing data over the cloud much harder, while with Google it is all connected with your free account.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #3

Blog Post #6

Blog Post #5